Sunday, November 20, 2011

In October, my boys grew closer as brothers

My brother and I are three years and 10 months apart, and I don't recall ever playing with him when I was a big 5-year-old. Lev and Dietrich are three years and eight months apart, so I didn't really expect them to do stuff together. But look! They do!




Actually, they seem drawn to each other, and they scarcely spend any time apart -- unless Dietrich has grand architectural plans with the blocks, in which case, Lev the Destroyer does have to be locked out of the room.

They sit opposite each other at the kitchen table and play mimicry games. They wrestle. They have Quiet Play Time together in their room, and when Lev starts fussing, Dietrich says, "Don't worry Lev, I'll make you happy again." And then he breaks into a highly energetic game of peek-a-boo -- and he actually does make Lev happy again.

Watching their relationship develop has been one of the biggest surprises -- and biggest joys -- of motherhood.

4 comments:

Gretchen said...

That is so sweet Josie. =0) They'll be friends for life.

fong said...

These photos are precious! Dietrich is a sweet older brother.

Shelly said...

love.

ladyjane said...

Ahhhhhh, very sweet! mom