Thursday, May 03, 2007

Trying to spring

The long, dreary gray days of winter make spring all the more lovely. This spring is an odd duck, however. Periodic rainstorms during spring? Normal. Periodic snow? Strange. As I walked back from the market two afternoons ago, the wind blew lots of little white things onto me: Half were petals from the blossoming trees, the other half were snowflakes.

Speaking of the market … in season right now: Daffodils (yay) and radishes (boo). But radishes (double boo) mean that strawberries are just around the corner. Yay!


Less of this ...


... and more of this.

This week we finally decided to get tough on Dietrich’s sleep habits. For a couple of months now, he’s been mostly sleeping with us. It’s sweet, but not something we want him to need, especially as he gets increasingly mobile. I have horrible fears of being woken by the thunk of my baby crawling off the bed.

So, this week he’s learning how to sleep in his crib again. I was fearful of this time because this kid’s strong and loud, and I was pretty sure he was capable of crying for three or four hours if we didn’t bring him into mom and dad’s big bed. But I was wrong. He’s doing an awesome job! He shed quite a few angry tears the first night, but only for about 40 minutes, and since then he’s been a peach. (Mmmm … peaches … also soon to be in season.)

I’m so proud of my bug!

3 comments:

Gretchen said...

Josie, what sweet pictures! We've had a few nights lately of waking up and crying. It's amazing how crazy one can get when that happens. It's easy to just want to stop it any way possible forgetting that the only solution is to let them cry it out.
Last night we did that and it only lasted about a good half hour. At two in the morning it seems alot longer.

fong said...

Tough love! Dietrich can sleep alone, yes he can. Go go Dietrich!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet baby.

I totally understand your desire to have your baby sleep with you yet your fear that he will fall out of bed. Dr Sears is a great Christian pediatrician who encourages such close relationships with our kids, and he has suggestions for sleep issues at www.askdrsears.com such as at these pages
http://askdrsears.com/faq/sl16.asp
http://askdrsears.com/html/10/t102200.asp

One of the most brilliantly obvious solutions is simply to put your bed on the floor (take it out of the frame) and have the baby in the corner; that way there's just not room to fall out and hurt himself.