Saturday, March 17, 2007

Plug in

The Talbot extension program starts next week, and a team from Talbot West just arrived to tie up loose ends in time for Monday’s kick-off. Yesterday, I was at the seminary with the team and with Dietrich, and I spent some time chatting with Oksana, one of the KTS translators. She’s hoping to be pregnant herself soon, so she’s pretty into babies. She went on and on about how cute D is, how he looks like his dad, and how she particularly loves his nose. I said, “It’s interesting that he doesn’t have my nose (pointy) or his dad’s nose (generously proportioned).” She said (and this sounds better in Russian), “Yes, we have a name for Dietrich’s nose – we call it an ‘outlet nose.’” For sake of comparison:

Dietrich’s nose


A Ukrainian outlet


A lot of times, I think speaking Russian is just hard work. But then I have a conversation like that one, and I realize that it’s quite a privilege — and often an entertaining privilege — to learn how another culture expresses itself.

2 comments:

fong said...

I think Ukrainian outlets are very cute. Reminds me of babies.

Danica said...

Dietrich is SO ADORABLE! I just want to squeeze his cheeks. I think my nose would probably look like an outlet to Ukranians as well. Good to know.