Just got back from my first stroll to the market with Dietrich. It didn’t go so well. I forgot my shopping list, Ukrainian money and my bag. Dietrich was screaming in the store, in the checkout line and while I went to change the $20 American that I fortunately had with me.
But the worst part was how lonely I felt. I must have passed 10 other women about my age pushing their babies in strollers, and not a single one of them did anything more than stare at me. I know that they don’t mean anything negative by it; it’s just such a shock after being in America where people are eager to ask about your baby. Americans tend to strike up conversation with people in similar circumstances – folks called for jury duty, people waiting in the long line at the post office, moms caring for their children. When we first got back to America, I remember being shocked, and maybe even a little offended, at how open people were – like, do I really need to know the medical history of the girl changing into her swimsuit in the same locker room where I’m changing into mine? But now I miss that transparency.
Hopefully tomorrow’s outing will be better.
Tuesday, December 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Maybe you're driving a Mercedes stroller and they feel outclassed...or it could be that you're driving a VW and they still haven't forgiven Germany for WWII. What would happen if you struck up a conversation? Probably a lot of grammatical corrections...
If you want to be the popular one at a party, here's a good thing to do: Go up to some people who are talking and laughing and say, "Well, technically that's illegal." It might fit in with what somebody just said. And even if it doesn't, so what, I hate this stupid party.
(Jack Handey)
Hahaha! (at the comments, not at the sad stroll. It's ok to have lonely/culture shock moments sometimes though.)
It sounds like it was a "Jonah day". I hope you have some good ones this week. =)
Post a Comment