Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The birthday bug

Yesterday was Dietrich’s 3-month birthday. To celebrate, we had our SEND small group over. (OK, to be honest, they were over to celebrate the birth of another famous baby, one who was born, born, born in Bethlehem.) We had racklett (a German dinner that involves people heating up their own meat, cheese and veggies on a machine in the middle of the table), and I made a chocolate cake with mint frosting.

This was the first time that we’d done any serious hosting since baby came along, and I was thrilled to discover that we’re still able to have people over without too much stress. This is good information to have, as we are currently discussing which of our former activities we can/should commit to again now that baby’s around. Dietrich is a people person; when a group’s around, he refuses to sleep, yet he stays happy as he’s passed from arm to arm.

In honor of the birthday boy (D not Jesus), I thought we’d take a look at how he’s grown. Here’s our little lovebug about a week after birth:



And here’s our barrel-chested big boy – all 14 pounds of him – this morning:

7 comments:

fong said...

Dietrich! I cannot believe how much you've grown. You're huge! And not red! And look at those chubby arms! Happy, happy birthday. The world's been pleasanter since you arrived three months ago.

Sam said...

Dietrich has now lasted longer than Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock's marriage!
http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=14319

fong said...

I started up my computer an hour ago to finish some work, and I thought, "I want to look at Dietrich again." I decided to save Dietrich as a post-work treat. I finished my work a minute ago, that's why I'm here now.

I was very happy to see Dietrich had gotten so big, and now I'm sad I can't play with him every Friday. But it's ok. I want to praise him very much for growing, but I know really, his brain and will didn't have too much to do with it. Good job parents for doing a fine job of feeding him!

On his 1st day photo -- I never thought I'd say this about this body part, but Dietrich used to have such small armpits!

ladyjane said...

Dietrich, you're the cutest baby in the whole world...and I'm NOT just saying that cuz I'm your gramma. People keep accusing me of that, but I'm NOT. Just ask your grandpa.

Unknown said...

wow...that boy grew

Gretchen said...

He is looking like quite a cute little man! He has changed soooo much!

fong said...

We just looked at the photo of Dietrich again for like the 10th time, and Sam says D looks like he's dancing. He looks very vertical indeed.