On Monday morning, Eric got home at about 7:30 after spending all night on the train, showered, and headed right back out the door to set up the room for the week's Talbot session. Though he had slept a bit on the train, he was tired. You know that deeply tired feeling, when even a minor task just feels like too much? Well Eric walked into the room, looked at all the desks and chairs, which the preceding class had moved into a horseshoe shape, and thought, "I just can't move all those." So he didn't. And the set-up worked out great, since the week's class was heavy on discussion.
Meanwhile, I ordered a language-arts curriculum for Dietrich. Back when we moved to Ukraine, childless, I knew that someday I would need to do some supplemental home-schooling, but it's hard to believe that day has come. Or rather, will come in December, when our Christmas box arrives.
Tuesday morning, I strapped Lev into the Bjorn, hopped onto a minibus and headed toward our region's Home Depot-type store to buy a gift card for an upcoming wedding. Gift cards are something new here; I only know of two stores that offer them. Lev started crying 10 minutes into the 30-minute ride, so I hopped off the minibus, walked down to the next stop and got on the next minibus after he fell asleep. You can do that when bus fare costs just 25 cents. Grabbed the card and a ball for Lev (the Home Depot-type store has a toy section), and headed home. Ah, the life stage when one morning means only one errand.
One of the students in the Talbot program has a little boy who is just just a bit younger than Dietrich, so he came over to play on Tuesday while his momma was in class.
There is a group of ladies who meet for Bible study here every other Wednesday morning, and I've been wanting to go since September. But, for one reason or another, it hasn't worked out. On Wednesday, I did it! I had a good plan: Feed Lev and put him in the stroller, so that he will fall asleep during the 30-minute walk to the meeting. Enjoy the grown-up time at the meeting while he snoozes. Walk home just in time to feed him, then go get Dietrich.
Well, the best-laid plans, right? Lev was wide awake during the walk, even after I took an extra 10 minutes to stroll up and down the parking lot, hoping to lull him to sleep. He stayed bright-eyed for the whole meeting, happy to be passed around the room. He fell asleep within seconds of our leaving, and I had to wake him up to feed him before we went to get Dietrich. Still, he was so cheerful throughout the meeting that I'm pretty sure we will go back.
Wednesday afternoon, we started something new: A weekly mother's helper. For about two hours, a second-grade missionary kid will drop in solely to focus on Dietrich. She won't have to go change a diaper, or check on dinner, or make a phone call. Plus, she has gone to national school since preschool, so I'm hopeful that she can work with him on how to color and draw in the Ukrainian way. I'm thrilled for him! And, since I managed to send eight e-mails and make dinner in the time she was here, I'm also thrilled for me!
Thursday morning, Bonnie Saucy came over for coffee in the morning! Mark is teaching this week's Talbot class, and Bonnie was given frequent-flier miles to join him. As always, chatting with her was a delight.
Friday, we did the normal rush-around, but Dietrich was really, really tired, which led to us leaving music lesson early. I also observed music class for the first time, and realized that, contrary to my assumption, Dietrich is not learning acceptable (by my standards) classroom etiquette at preschool. So, when Daddy got home that night, we had to ask him lots of questions about how he likes students to behave in his classes. For instance, "Daddy, when one student is standing up to make a presentation, do you like it when the other students tackle him?"
I often feel overwhelmed by the shear amount of learning that Dietrich still has before him.
Eric's passport saga continued all week. Monday, he took his passport with its now-expired registration back to the center of town to resubmit it. Wednesday, he got a note from the Ukrainian who actually carries all our information to the government, saying that the government now needs a copy of our landlord's passport. (Ukrainians carry a passport rather than a driver's license for identification.) Our landlord was willing, so on Saturday morning, Eric headed back downtown to drop off yet another piece of paper. Will he get his registration? We still don't know! If he doesn't, a trip to Poland is in his future. I'm already making a mental shopping list; they sell cheddar cheese in Krakow!
Saturday also was the big wedding! Our first in Ukraine! The registrar at the seminary married a professor who often flew in from the States to teach classes. Well, he won't be flying in anymore; they're renting an apartment just a short walk from ours. The wedding was charming, with lots of memorable moments:
The ceremony was in Ukrainian, but the groom speaks English, so he carried a cellphone with an earpiece, and a translator called him. However, they used a cell-phone provider that only lets you talk for 30 minutes, so the translator had to call him back mid-service, after they got cut off.
A little girl pulled the three-tiered cake down.
The ceremony was supposed to start at 3, but started closer to 4. The wedding party went to take pictures, and the banquet began at about 5:30. The bride and groom had a plane to catch at 9 p.m., and were supposed to leave by 6:30. They left at 7, and were stuck in traffic right next to us. Somehow, they made the flight -- but I'm wondering if they skipped going home to change and just wore their wedding clothes on the plane.
Sunday, we tried church with both kids again, and it worked out great. Dietrich behaved beautifully. Then, I made tortillas and soup for the upcoming week. Plus, we got to see a lot of familiar faces in the evening, when one of our supporting churches set up a Skype call with us. Hooray for Skype!
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You're amazing...I haven't had a chance to comment on week 3 and here we are at week 4. It's a delight to read and get a real feel for what your life is like.Hugs and kisses
The same girl pulled down the decorations behind the couple. What a girl! :) What a wedding!
Post a Comment