Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Snow week

We were treated to a nice, thick snowfall last week. At this point, it's all iced over and good only for sledding, but Dietrich and I did spend a morning in the park with our friends when it was nice and fresh. What I learned: Some Ukrainians take their snow creatures very seriously.


Little boys, all bundled up.


See that soon-to-be snowball? It's coming at me.


Impressive snow sculpture No. 1: A kitty. With whiskers, which I found out is the same word as mustache.


Detritus of holiday celebrations.


A snowman peeks out at us. He also was covered with celebratory tinsel.


Impressive snow sculpture No. 2: A lion, with built-in seat on which kiddos could pose. Dietrich actually knocked off the lion's nose, which was colored with tomato juice. I found the nearly empty bottle of juice on the ground nearby and repainted it, with my bare finger. As soon as I finished, I panicked, having just stuck my bare finger in some stranger's spit. Five days later, I've not fallen ill. Whew. That was not my finest moment.

No comments: