Friday, December 04, 2009

My hands

If you were to look at my hands right now (or at any time during a Kyiv fall/winter), you might think I played a starring role in "Fight Club." The combination of Kyiv water plus cold weather leads to hands so dry that my knuckles crack open and bleed when I bend my fingers. It's uncomfortable. And gross. Lotion helps -- for a minute or two. At night, I sleep with my hands coated in petroleum jelly and encased with gloves. That keeps the open-wound count down around five.

The other day, Dietrich wanted to cuddle at naptime, but my ever-expanding belly felt extra awkward when I tried to get all smooshed up next to him. So, I suggested we hold hands. He grabbed my hand, exclaimed, "It's crunchy!" -- and refused to touch me again.

Sigh. I guess I'll go put some lotion on.

6 comments:

ladyjane said...

Do you have dry skin elsewhere, or just hands? Do you wear gloves when doing dishes, etc. That should help.
Dr. Mom at work Only in the winter?

josieO said...

Yep, only in the winter. And, yes, I wear gloves to wash dishes ... but of course I wash my hands a lot (especially when cooking), so that's enough to do them in.

zigszoo said...

D is hysterical! Love those toddler sayings. I hate dry hands its an awful feeling!

The Dykstra Family said...

Do you have any Lansinoh? That stuff works wonders in far more places that it was created for. It's great for chapped lips and I bet it would work well for chapped hands as well.

auntieJ said...

There's also something called Zim's?Zyms? Crack Cream(I kid you not...the first time I heard an ad I laughed out loud.I also keep cream by the kitchen sink. As to the dog do, that happens to me sometimes when I don't do doo doo patrol well enough in the back yard &I have to scrape out my tennies...it's definetly EWWW.

fong said...

You can wash dishes the Jit Fong way -- leave them in the sink for Sammy! A year of not doing dishes has really done wonders for eczema on my hands.

Since we're recommending moisturizers here, I'll chip in. My favorite is hemp oil body butter from The Body Shop. A great, cheaper alternative is Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream.