Monday, May 05, 2008

The week in work

Last week, I made a brochure, thus completing Step One in a fund-raising push for Kyiv Theological Seminary that should keep me occupied through December. The seminary has been offered a $450,000 matching grant, and we have until Dec. 31 to raise funds.

Meanwhile, I'm feeling rather out of my league.

I keep kicking myself for not paying more attention in the one public relations class that was required in my undergrad journalism program. I know a lot about presenting news. In a newspaper. Brochures? Letters to foundations? These are unfamiliar ground.

But exciting ground! I don't think I would have said that two weeks ago, before I started talking to people, gathering information, trying to gain a sense of where the seminary is and how it hopes to grow. At the beginning, I mostly just felt overwhelmed and frightened (my general responses when I try to lay all the responsibility on myself rather than focusing on doing my best for the Glory of God).

The seminary's story is a good one, and I'm going to get the chance this year to tell it in many different ways to many different people. I'm looking forward to the process.


2 comments:

Patty said...

Looking good! And you know how to do all this ... PR is basically the same as a newspaper ... gathering info, telling a story and connecting it with the user (or reader). You'll make it fab!

Bonnie said...

The brochure looks really great, Josie. We're excited about the matching grant and watching God at work.