Some dear friends sent us an Amazon gift card for Christmas. I rather enjoy possessing (and not spending) a gift card for a while. It's nice to know that, if I have a day when I really need a treat, I can order one up for free. Eric is not like me. That card is burning a big-time hole in the pocket of his Roebucks. (Him: "Um, when do you think that gift card expires?" Me: "NEVER.")
I won't be able to put off buying something with it much longer. Eric already knows exactly what he'll purchase with his half. I want to get some music for Dietrich. And that's where I'm stuck. So, if you have kids, grandkids, or any level of knowledge about music for children, would you please leave a recommendation? I'm easy; I just want something that will delight Dietrich without making me go out of my gourd. Thanks!
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
We really enjoy the Hymns for a Kids Heart. Our kids also REALLY enjoy movie soundtracks. I hope you guys are doing well!
I suppose Mannheim Steamroller and Trans Siberian Orchestra are out of the question :)
Not sure about day-time fun songs, but for night-time, check out babyrockrecords.com.
Knowing some of the music you and Eric enjoy, I you might like hearing some of your favorite bands transformed into lullabies for babies!
(and the CDs are available off Amazon)
Hmmm...
Hopefully Dietrich will have better taste than my kids, but they pretty much love anything that is sung by children. I don't particularly care for anything they like, but watching their faces light up and hearing them ask, "Is this KID music?" is almost worth the aesthetic sacrifice. They really enjoy all the old standards (This Old Man, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star etc.), and the great thing is, they learn them!
I thought that the kid albums of They Might Be Giants would be the answer to our prayers, but our kids just don't register them as kid music. Maybe when they're older. To be really engaged, they like to hear kid voices. And when they want to just dance and rock out, they like our music :)
Oh, and they love all the old Sunday School songs. Willem is always asking for "Jesus music." We'll have to try those hymns Faith suggested!
I must second the Kid Music thing gypmar speaks of. It's amazing. It's like kiddie drugs.
Some of our kids' favorite things:
"Frog and Toad" stories on CD (and lots of other kids story audiobooks),
The Johnny Cash children's album (but beware of the depressing story of Shep the dog), Wee Sing albums (as Gypsy said, nothing I enjoy, but they love hearing kids sing), and the good ol' Veggie Tales.
I think we're guilty of brain washing our child already, but....Judah is a huge Cake fan. He LOVES them. He also, almost since birth, loves Jack Johnson. Whenever he cried when he was tiny, we'd throw in the In Between Dreams album and it would quiet him down immediately.
I'm with Gypsy on the They Might Be Giants thing...I'd hoped it would entertain Judah and me as well, but he's not that into it. What he does love, probably like most kids, is kids singing praise songs. We found a 3 CD set at TJ Maxx for like ten bucks, it's called something like "102 praise songs for kids."
Post a Comment