She has been selling her produce in the market, and had two big bags and a heavy cart worth of unsold carrots, beets and potatoes to lug home. She got the bags on, then tackled the cart, but it was huge and unwieldy, and it flopped over onto its side. She asked a man standing near the door for help, but he refused. Several other young guys sat back and observed this poor woman's efforts. One of them clearly was on a date, and to his companion, who kindly gave her seat to the elderly lady, I say, "Run away!"
Anyway, Eric had the baby in the Bjorn, so I helped her drag the cart up the stairs. She and I picked up the produce that fell out in the process and settled back down for the ride. When the bus arrived at the metro station, we helped carry her things off the bus.
Of course we didn't expect anything in return. In fact, we didn't WANT anything in return. We were happy to help. But she insisted on rewarding us. With carrots!

1 comment:
I can so picture that whole scenario. Never a dull moment here, eh?
Post a Comment