We're moving. Where? We don't know. Our landlady came by today; she's moving back in on August 1. So the hunt for a new apartment begins. Thankfully, one of our SEND co-workers works with a Ukrainian rental agent to find apartments. Here's hoping they find something great. And near a market. And not too far from church. Or the seminary. Or the bus stop.
Though we haven't really enjoyed interacting with our landlady, we have loved our apartment. Not only is it near everything on the list above, you also can see the sunset and some trees from the kitchen window.
Yet, every time I get close to leaving something (a job, a city, etc.), I start remembering all the elements of that thing that I don't like, and those elements (often minor inconveniences) suddenly become simply unbearable. I don't do this consciously, but it does make the leaving easier.
So: Our apartment is freezing in the winter and has no storage space. In the baby's room, we have a wardrobe filled with our landlady's old stuff, which she has consistently refused to remove. About 100 empty glass jars live on one of the balconies, accompanied by a bag of rotting clothes and a broken oven. The pipes under the sink sometimes release a really bad odor that stinks up the whole joint. Even when I've just cleaned it, the potty room smells like a potty room.
But still, all in all, it's been a great place to live. (Enter nostalgic sigh here.)
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Josie, I did not expect you to take this step now. But who could expect it? I know who - your landlady! =) Our family can relate to your situation so well; it made me even to drop in my comment here. We have just moved out couple of weeks ago and went on our journey. But the Lord is good! Those who trust him will never, never be ashamed! So take heart! You'll move into a better one! I wish the place we left was bigger for your family so I could recommend it to you. It's just one room apartment, yet it's nice and clean and close to bus stop, the seminary, your church(?) and it has what they call here 'eu(v)ro-remont'. The landlady is nice person comes only once in two months to pick up money for rent. I guess some could expect to stay there for period of 3 years and repeat the circle again.
P.S. The landlady called us twice already offering it to us again,saying her plans changed and she wants to lend it again... but we hit the road and not turning back, looking forward to the promised land.
P.P.S. Eric can call me anytime to get me helping your family with any aspect of today's news.
Post a Comment