
Dietrich witnessed his first baptism on Saturday. Members of our church gathered at a Pentecostal church more than an hour’s journey from our side of town. Why? Well, it’s really cold, so an outdoor baptism wouldn’t do, and this church has a baptistery it was willing to share.
We've been privileged to take part in several baptisms since we arrived in Ukraine, but I felt the most personal connection to this one. The four folks being baptized included two young men who regularly attend the youth group that meets at our house and a woman from our Ukrainian small group. It was a thrill to watch as they publicly professed their faith in Christ and their desire to serve Him.
I also enjoyed watching Dietrich interact with various members of our church. Many folks have really taken to our little guy, showering him with affection and asking lots of questions about his development. A favorite moment: When our pastor turned to Dietrich and asked when he’d get to baptize him. Baptism is certainly a few years off, but we soon hope to dedicate him at Svet Evangelia, since we recognize that the church will play a big role in his upbringing. Here are some of the people who already are taking a keen interest in his little life.

Several young ladies from the youth group, plus our Sunday School leader, Ira, in the middle.

Nikolai, who lives about an hour outside of Kyiv yet faithfully attends church every Sunday. We appreciate his warm heart, sly sense of humor, willingness to teach us about culture and gregarious personality.

Tamara is also a member of our Ukrainian small group. Every week, when the congregation is asked to pray, Tamara jumps in first. She's not shy, and we love her for it!

5 comments:
Ohhh more pics of Dietrich! You have brightened up our morning!
I'm so jealous of those babushkas!
In the photo with Nikolai, Dietrich looks like he's grown quite long.
D. just steals the show...as cute when he's got his worried face on as when he's smiling!
Last night I had a dream, in which I carried Dietrich many times. He would snuggle and fall asleep, and then I would get sloppy and adjust my arms so I feel more comfortable. And then Dietrich's legs would fall out of my arms and he would start crying.
Even in my dreams, Dietrich is growing quite nicely.
Post a Comment